Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My top 5 daily used Android apps

I decided to make a post to show which apps I tend to use on an almost daily basis.

1. Whatsapp

If you don't know what Whatsapp is, then you're missing out - it's a free messenger, which allows you to send IM's (instant messages) to any of your contacts who also has the app installed. The nice thing though, is that you get Whatsapp on different platforms as well, for example Android, iOS, Blackberry, Nokia and Windows Mobile 7 and up.

Not only very handy for quickly, and best of all, CHEAPLY (uses only a little bit of data), sending messages to anyone, you can also send photos and videos, and, if your phone has a GPS, your exact location at that time, which the recipient can open on their maps app.

If I were to get a new phone, this would pretty much be the first app I install!

Get it here

2. Steam

I like playing games on my PC, and one of my favourite things on my PC is Steam - it's a game delivery platform, through which you can legally buy games, which you can then download and play. The best part of Steam is that they have constant specials on various games. Plus there's the yearly Steam Summer Sale, which tend cost me too much money every time!

Steam on Android is basically just a mobile version of the desktop app (though you can obviously not play your games on your phone...), so you can quickly see what's on sale when you're out and about, chat with your friends on steam and all kinds of stuff like that.

As you can see below, Homefront is on sale for less 75% - I've never played the game, but I'm very tempted to actually buy it! $5 for a mainstream game like that sure is a bargain in anyone's book!



You can get Steam here

3. Tweetdeck

I used to like using Tweetcaster, but I wasn't that fond of viewing tweets of the people I follow on that. Then I did some searching, and discovered Tweetdeck. I now use this everyday to see what the people are saying. The other nice part about it is I've linked my Facebook feed to it as well, so I can view both of those updates on the one platform :)




The blue posts in the bottom screenshot are Facebook updates.

Only thing I'm not that fond of with this app is to tweet to certain people isn't very easy, I remember in Tweetcaster when you use the # or @ symbols it opens up a list of people you can choose to tweet to. Other than that, to stay up to date on what's going on in my Twitter stream, this is the app I prefer.

A last thing I want to add, it loads ALL the people you follow's tweets in the list, so if you are following lots of people, and you haven't checked it in a few days, it can take quite some time to scroll up to the latest tweets :)

Get it here

4. News24

This will probably only be for South Africans, since it's our biggest local news website's accompanying app. It has basically the exact same articles as the website, although you cannot view and make the comments on the articles, which isn't a bad thing. Most people tend to just share hate on any article.

I also find myself not liking to use this app, since the news is 98% of the time something bad, but I keep coming back for more to see what's going on in South Africa, and the rest of the world...



A very straightforward app, which does exactly what it is supposed to. Share all the bad news :(

Anyway, get it here

5. Google Chrome Browser

Last but not least, Chrome is probably my favourite new feature of the ICS update a few months back. It's Google's own browser, and boy does it just work!

As you saw above, I use Tweetdeck to stay up to date with my Twitter account, and a lot of the people I follow tend to post links to website, tapping on them always opens the link up in Chrome, and I haven't had a single issue on any website where I couldn't read the text or something like that.

If you are one of the lucky ones to have upgraded to Chrome, then this is a total must to replace the stock browser.

Get it here

To conclude this post, I'd like to invite you to post your favourite daily used apps below in the comments section, I am forever finding myself on the Google Play store to check out what's new on the market.

(sorry that I disabled Anonymous commenting, I was just getting too many spam comments!)